Biddenden Parish Council - Official Website

13th March 2001

 

 

 

Meetings 2001
9th January 2001
13th February 2001
13th March 2001
10th April 2001
Annual Parish Meeting
8th May 2001
12th June 2001
10th July 2001
14th August 2001
11th September 2001
9th October 2001
13th November 2001
6th December 2001
11th December 2001

Minutes of a meeting of the Biddenden Parish Council

Held on Tuesday 13th March 2001 at 7.30p.m. in the Club House

 

Present:

Cllr. E Farris – Chairman

Cllr. D. Harrison

 

Cllr. Mrs. G. Scott (from 8.30pm)

Cllr. M. Conway

 

Cllr. G. Raffe

Cllr. T. Richards

 

Cllr. Mrs. E Cansdale

Cllr. B. Wingham

     

Apologies:

Cllr. N. Bell (Borough Councillor)

Cllr. Mrs. E. M. Griffiths

 

Cllr. Mrs. B. Swain

Cllr. H. M. Stokes

QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC IN RESPECT OF NON-AGENDA ITEMS

No questions raised.

MINUTES

The minutes of the meetings of Tuesday 13 & 27 February 2001 were approved and signed.

(WPC Annie Williams arrived at this point and gave an update on police matters)

MATTERS ARISING

Website – The Clerk is currently liaising with Clair Bell over the introduction of images onto the site. Thought still needs to be given to other areas that could be included on the site. NOTED.

High Street Pavements - The Highways Unit has not formally heard about funds, but more money has been allocated this year. If the work does go ahead it will include only re-pointing and slab replacement. NOTED.

Annual Parish Meeting Agenda – The draft notice was approved with the addition of "Village Design Statement". AGREED.

Publication of details relating to speeding offences – The Ashford Area Magistrates Court has confirmed that the information is available to the press but they have to be in court to obtain it. However the Kentish Express does not have sufficient editorial staff to cover all court hearings as several courts sit at the same time. NOTED

Housing Survey – Mrs. Jo Passmore of The Rural Housing Trust is to be invited to the April Parish Council Meeting to present the results of the recent Survey. AGREED. Village of the Year – The deadline for applications is 31 March. Cllr. Richards took the application pack to present at the next Millennium Field Committee Meeting.

CVS Launch scheduled for 15 March at the Rare Breeds Centre has been cancelled. NOTED.

Contaminated Land - the closing date for comments on the Borough Council’s Contaminated Land Draft Strategy, is 19 March.

ASHFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL REPORT - No report

PLANNING

Full Council Decisions

01/0213/AS

Highfield, Tenterden Road

NO OBJECTION

Proposed replacement dwelling and garage

   

01/00214&5/AS

Low Poles Farm, Fosten Lane

NO OBJECTION

Full Planning & Listed Buildings Consent

 

Addition of modern kitchen wing at rear. Alteration of lean-to on north side. Close in sun loggia.

(Previous application withdrawn)

   

00/01716/AS

Monks Hill Oast, Monks Hill, Smarden

&01/00243/AS

Extension to provide hydrotherapy facilities

NO OBJECTION

 
   

01/00272/AS

Punch Croft, High Halden Road

NO OBJECTION

Bathroom extension at rear and conservatory at side.

   

00/00266/AS

Woodlands Filling Station, Tenterden Road

NO OBJECTION

Change of use from filling station to special needs school

 

Ground floor layout and external works remain as granted under application 00/01317/AS. Changes at first floor level, which has been extended, from storage to administration facilities, associated with the operation of a school.

   

01/00279/AS

Oakhurst, Tenterden Road

NO OBJECTION

Detached double garage (retrospective)

   

01/00280/AS

Land at Corrams Wood, Woolpack Corner

NO OBJECTION

Erection of boundary security fence and new timber-cladded garage/store (retrospective)

   

01/00310/AS

Beacon Farm Oast, Benenden Road

NO OBJECTION

Extension

   

01/00304&5/AS

Little Standen, Smarden Road

NO OBJECTION

Internal alterations and extension

 

Full planning & Listed Buildings Consent

   

01/00343/AS

Land adj. Marlands Cottage, Middle Quarter, High Halden

NO OBJECTION

To erect a 12ft five bar gate to form access across Byway known as Gore Lane for walking horses.

   

HG/01/06000/AS (Del) – amended

Notification of Proposal to Remove a Hedge

Hedge No. H115, Bell Lane Smarden to Hedge No. 163 at High Halden

Minor changes to the pipeline route have resulted in the pipeline passing through some hedges at a different location (Monks Hill hedges no. H125c to 128c). NOTED.

Cherry Tree Farm, Potkiln Lane, High Halden – High Halden PC is appealing to KCC to overturn its decision to grant consent. NOTED.

Foot & Mouth Outbreak –To assist the farming community, Ashford BC will be taking a more relaxed attitude to the provision of temporary on-site living accommodation during the current outbreak. NOTED.

ASHFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL DECISIONS were tabled and noted.

 

FINANCE

Cheques presented at the meeting were approved and receipts noted.

Tenterden Citizens Advice Bureau – A donation of £50.00 was proposed, seconded and AGREED (166)

Picnic table –British Gates has confirmed the cost of a replacement table to be £120.00 + Vat. APPROVED.

Charges in respect of the Gordon Jones Playing Field are to remain unchanged in the next financial year.

New financial administration procedures suggested by the Clerk, relating to photocopying and telephone calls, were APPROVED.

Quotes:

Work at the Children’s Play Area

Fairway Engineering:

 

To supply and spread 10 cubic metres of play area grade woodchips

£600 + Vat

To make repairs to chainlink fencing and edge boards

£100 + Vat

Total

£700 + Vat

   

Madingley Mulch:

 

Supply only of Play Area Bark

(Details taken from internet for comparison)

£61.50 per cubic metre plus delivery (inc. Vat)

After discussion it was agreed that the quotation from Fairway Engineering be approved providing they agree to deal with the weed problem (with an appropriate non-toxic weed killer) before topping up the woodchip, within the price quoted. AGREED.

CORRESPONDENCE

A Human Rights Workshop is to be held at the Civic Centre on Thursday 22nd March at 7.30pm. Cllr. Conway in unable to attend but felt it important that the Council should have a representative at the meeting. NOTED.

Details of the suggested changes to the decision-making Structure for Local Government – KCC requires comments by 23rd March. As the Council agreed with the response determined by KAPC, it was decided that no further action was required. AGREED.

Tenterden Citizens Advice Bureau - confirmation is to be given that the Council is in favour of a monthly outreach surgery in the village. AGREED.

The Flower Festival 2001 (25-28th May) - Permission was granted for All Saints Biddenden PCC to erect an advertising banner on the village green as in previous years.

National Spring Clean (1 to 30 April) – Details are to be given to the primary school. AGREED.

Draft Model Code of Conduct Consultation Paper – The DETR is inviting comments by 27th April. TABLED and NOTED.

Tenant Participation Compact - Ashford BC is looking for volunteers to join new or existing working groups considering various aspects of housing management. NOTED.

The Tenterden Town Website wishes to include details of local villages but will make a charge for doing so. A reciprocal arrangement where the Biddenden site would mention the Tenterden site under "links" and vice versa, on a no fee basis, is to be suggested. AGREED.

Highways & Flooding – KCC has confirmed that it is very conscious of the state of the County’s roads as a result of this winter’s bad weather and that it is doing all that it can to put funds into their repair. NOTED.

Recycling – A resident has requested information and would like the details of anyone with a particular interest in the subject. The Clerk will reply accordingly.

Highways Unit - details of the recent reorganisation were TABLED and NOTED. The Clerk is to contact Highways Unit again regarding the No-Entry sign by Turners Stores, which is still out of position despite the efforts of Cllr. Wingham to get it rectified.

The Countryside Agency has produced a new public information leaflet to explain the new countryside access rights, and is asking for assistance in promoting this leaflet in local outlets. NOTED

Regulation & Bye Laws of the Millennium Field – A resident has requested that this information be displayed for users of the field. NOTED.

In light of the current Foot & Mouth Disease situation and based on advice received from KCC, it was AGREED that that the Millennium Field should remain closed until further notice.

The following KCC produced documents were TABLED and NOTED:

The Kent Agreement (KCC’s Public Service Agreement with Government)

Kent Countryside 2000: understanding Rural Change.

(Cllr. Mrs. Scott arrived at the meeting at this point)

STREET LIGHTING

A request is to be made to Ashford BC for street lighting to be provided on all the estates in the village. Additional lighting in the High Street will not be pursued at this time. AGREED.

NOTICEBOARD

The posts for the new noticeboard are now in position. Cllr. Farris and Conway will assist Cllr. Richards in installing the board itself. NOTED.

VILLAGE DESIGN STATEMENT

Mr. R Carr is to be invited to Chair a VDS Group, which is to consist of residents and Parish Council representatives. AGREED.

Cllrs. Conway, Richards, Farris and Mrs. Cansdale all volunteered to offer some assistance.

 

GORDON JONES PLAYING FIELD

Posts – Cllrs. Richards and Farris will make enquiries.

Work on bottom car park – has been put on hold for a month due to the wet ground conditions.

The new sign has been ordered.

MILLENNIUM FIELD COMMITTEE REPORT

Indemnity Notices – Approval was granted for two small signs to be ordered (authority was also given to purchase a third sign should this be required at the playing field). AGREED.

VILLAGE JUNCTION LAYOUT

At the JTC Meeting on 6th March a decision was made to proceed with Option 3. No further comment or confirmation has been received from the Highways Unit since then - the minutes of that meeting will be sent as soon as available. After discussions with an emphasis on traffic calming, a decision was made to defer this item until next meeting. AGREED.

VILLAGE MAINTENANCE

A proposal to proceed with the outstanding approved works to the Village Green was seconded and AGREED.

(Post meeting note: Cllr Richards is to arrange quotations, as Mr. Burles is still unable to accept work)

Car Park hedges and greenery – Ashford BC is to be approached with regards to the Parish Council taking over maintenance responsibilities. AGREED.

MATTERS FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION

Village Junction Layout, Village Maintenance and review of Standing Orders (after Statutory Meeting in May).

The "open sessions" at the start of the meeting are to continue.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting of the Council will be held on Tuesday 10 April 2001 at 7.30p.m.in the Club House.

The meeting closed at 9.25p.m

Back to top